Thursday 15 September 2011

leaving mr rochester

I'm very excited by the new Jane Eyre adaptation and so I give you one of my favourite quotes from this wonderful novel about love and personal freedom:

"Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong. I have as much soul as you and full as much heart. And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you.

I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionality, nor even of mortal flesh: it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God's feet, equal, as we are."

Jane to Mr Rochester, Chapter 23. Swoon, sigh, head held high.

AB xx

No comments:

Post a Comment